"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God." - Corrie Ten Boom

Friday, November 20, 2009

On Knowing.

The other day I was talking with a (skeptical) friend about what I KNOW about God. I was explaining to her the undeniable evidence of what God did in saving our marriage, after Will had left for over 2 and a half years. She challenged me by saying that I believe in God because things "worked out well." But that's just not the case. And I wanted to challenge your thinking as well.

I KNOW that God did a miracle in our marriage. It's undeniable... the way he looked out for us while we waited was undeniable. The way He has restored and repaired our marriage is undeniable. And it's a miracle. But that's what I know about what God did. Now. Let me tell you what I know about God.

I KNOW that God saves marriages.
From here on out... this is the reality that I am bound to. I am not bound to the fact that He did it once, I waited once, and now I'm free should something ever happen again. (Things are going GREAT in my marriage, by the way! This is about God... not about my marriage :) No matter what happens, I will choose the reality of the fact that I know God saves marriages, rather than the reality of circumstances that come my way.

And you can hold me to it.

I also know there were many years of incredible suffering... in which the prayers had not yet been answered. Do I believe any less of Him because of those times?

No. I know more about Him because of those times.
And I will choose to live by that reality.

I know that God cares about every detail of my life.
I know that God provides.
I know that God loves me unconditionally... and I know that God will never leave me... or get tired of me, despite my countless mistakes and bad choices.
I know that God loves about my children.... even more than I do.
I know that God knows me better than I know myself.
I know that God has a plan for each one of us.
I know that God is stronger than any person, any situation, and every circumstance. Period.
I KNOW that God can work ALL THINGS (Even the bad things...) together for GOOD... for those who love Him and who are called according to His purpose.
I KNOW that God is my SAVIOR.

And that is the reality that outweighed the suffering and the other reality of my circumstances. God is more real... God is more powerful... and God is more important.
Period.

Sometimes things don't always work out the way that we'd like them for to. My incredible and much-loved father died of cancer when I was sixteen. Do I know why? Other than the fact that life is hard... and people get sick, no I don't.

But through that experience and one question that I don't know... I watched the undeniable reality of many things I could learn and KNOW for the rest of my life. And I choose to base my life on the things that I DO KNOW. And what are they?

I know God loved my dad. It was obvious.
I know that God loved my mom and my family. It was and it is obvious.
I know that God guided our steps, protected our hearts, and gave us just what we needed right when we needed it.
I know that God is a Father to the Fatherless.
I know that God loved my father enough to grant him eternal life... and I will see him again!
I KNOW that God comforted and taught my dad through it all... and God gave him peace that far surpassed understanding through his circumstances. How do I know? My dad told me when he was sick. And it was obvious. GOD was obvious... over, above, and despite the circumstances.
I KNOW that I will not live my life weeping and being defined by this loss and what I don't know. I will miss my father and keep his memory in my life... and I will BE THANKFUL for what I KNOW... and for the way that God has blessed above and beyond measure to lead my family forward in life every day.

So sometimes circumstances are hard. Life is hard.
But always, God is good.
Do you know what it means that God loved us so much... he made a way for us to see our families again one day? What kindness!
Do you know what it means that God is a SAVIOR... not just on the cross.. but every day? He is a Savior from fear. He is a Savior from shame. He is a Savior from sin and strongholds. He is a Savior and a shelter from all of the hurt that life brings our way.

GOD IS GOOD.
And He works ALL THINGS together for good.
And THAT is what I KNOW.

If we choose to base our footsteps on our circumstances, then we are worshipers and followers of circumstances. And do you know where we'll end up? In our circumstances.

If we follow the God who is in control and gives victory over our circumstances, do you know where we'll end up? Victorious. Despite our circumstances.

I KNOW. :)

2 comments:

Mike said...

Your last two sentences tie it in perfectly. I could not have said it better myself. Thanks for taking the time to write it down.

julia said...

I concur with the above. Thanks for sharing, Mary.