"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God." - Corrie Ten Boom

Monday, March 1, 2010

Where Your Treasure Is

We've started a new journey as a family. And I'm really excited about it. Care to join us?
Please consider this your official invitation. Grandparents, parents, sibs, friends, and um.. any and everyone else. I'm quite serious about this. :)
I have personally been very convicted this year in the deeper understanding of how often we (even... and dare I say... especially...) as Christians, view God as some type of Santa Claus.
I realized that very often I read through my Bible and walk throughout my days and my Christian life trying to figure out how God can make me happy, make things work out for me, make things fall into place, answer my prayers, and praise Him when it's convenient.
SO. NOT. GOOD.
Because He's GOD. And I'm not. And He's GOOD. He's WONDERFUL. And I don't have all the answers... but I've seen enough to know beyond a shadow of a doubt His awesome reality.
So. I decided that I wanted to read through the Bible JUST defining WHO my God really is. And it's blowing my mind.
I want to know who God is... and how my life should look as a result:
Rather than: Who I am... and how God should look as a result.
So much so that I decided to start over again, and take my family with me.
We bought a book. A nice, leather book... that we can keep special as a family Journal. We started in Genesis 1 tonite. Only made it through 2 verses. (My kids are 5,6, and 7 afterall!) And we had the best time. We talked about what it means that God was there before the world was made (Jacob said that makes His brain confused... but Sam said that meant God was big enough for anything.) We talked about how we know that the God who made the world is still just as big and powerful today, and how could other people see that? Hannah said "Well Mommy.. we still live in His creation too!!! And it's BRAND NEW!!!" Oh. Yeah. And I was afraid they were too little for this!
And after two short verses we were ready to stop and praise God together. And Jacob carried on and on (as I journaled the entire time) about how we had seen God do "big stuff" that we can't do (such as creation) in our lives... recent examples... our house... and even today answered prayer. Good stuff. Good stuff to build on and to know tomorrow.
Good stuff to lead to the abundant life in my children that I can't give them myself.
Good stuff to carry my kids through situations when I'm not there.
Good stuff for them to hold ME accountable too.
Good stuff for me to hold THEM accountable too.
Good stuff to have a firm foundation that cannot be shaken by circumstances.
Awesome to not have our foundation built by circumstance.
Praise the Lord!
You will go out with joy and be led forth in peace. The mountains and hills will burst forth into song before you and all the trees of the hills will clap their hands.
Isaiah 55:12.
This stuff is for real. This God is my God. :)
And in other news. My mixed up clock is a permanent fixture in the Wall house. Oh well. :) I wonder how long my kids will be to young to notice.... ;)
Think about it! Find a really special book. And take it a few bites at a time. Identify what God DOES... tells you about who He IS. Don't get so focused on the act that you don't learn about the character of the miracle-maker! And purpose to live your life accordingly... one step at a time. Doesn't matter if you have kids or not... doesn't matter how young or how old. That's one of the most beautiful things about it. We can ALWAYS learn something new about our God!
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes. Romans 1:16a

No comments: